- It is Sunnat to take medication and undergo treatment during an illness. However, one should depend only on Allah Ta’ala for the cure.
- It is Sunnat to treat an illness with kalunji (black seed ) and honey. (Bukhari‐ chapter on medicine) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said that Allah has placed cure in these two things. There are many Ahadith narrated in praise of kalunji and honey.
- During treatment one should avoid those things which aggravate the illness.
- It is Sunnat to visit one’s sick brother.
Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: “Visit the sick”. (Bukhari)
Hazzrat Jaabir (Radiallahu Anhu) narrates: “I became sick. Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) came to visit me”. (Bukhari)
- After visiting the sick it is Sunnat to leave quickly (Mishkaat). It should not happen that the patient or his family is inconvenienced in any way by your remaining there for a long time.
- To console the patient in any way possible is Sunnat. For example one should say to him that Insha‐ Allah you will recover very quickly, Allah Ta’ala is the Most Powerful. One should not say such things which will instil fear in the sick person. (Mishkaat, pg. 137)
- When visiting the sick one should say the following:
لَا بَاْسَ طَهُوْرٌ اِنْ شَآءَ اللهُ
Translation: Do not become worried as this sickness will be a means of cleaning you from your sins, if Allah Ta’ala wishes.
Thereafter recite this seven times for his recovery:
اَسْاَلُ اللهَ الْعَظِيْمَ رَبَّ الْعَرْشٍ الْعَظِيْمِ اَنْ يَشْفِيَكَ
Translation: I ask Allah Ta’ala who is All Powerful and the Lord of the Great Throne that He grants you recovery. Rasulullah ( ) has stated that by reading this dua seven times the sick person will be cured. However, if the time of his death has approached than nothing can delay that.
(Mishkaat‐ pg. 135, Abu Dawood‐ Vol.2, pg. 86)
Source: Beautiful Sunnats Of The Beloved Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam